Dr. Maxwell sees patients for acute injuries and chronic or degenerative conditions. He has a special interest and knowledge in the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of sports and athletic injuries, including and movement-based care for optimal health and performance. Dr. Maxwell is not your average Chiropractor. He has hosted well over 175 continuing education courses through his continuing education company www.somaticsenses.com, which he founded in 2002 to facilitate cutting edge and world leading continuing education for Manual Therapy and Rehab practitioners including Physiotherapists, Chiropractors, Kinesiologists, etc. Through his consistent and exceptional exposure to some of the worlds most recognized clinicians and educators Dr. Maxwell has become a leader in the continuing education of Chiropractors and rehabilitation practitioners alike. He has served as an assistant instructor for courses related to the treatment and rehabilitation of the: low back, neck, TMJ, lower extremity (hip, knee, ankle, foot), and shoulder. He has presented in Canada and the Unites States on injury prevention, rehabilitation and manual therapy of the shoulder girdle, and human movement.
Dr. Maxwell's post graduate and speciality education include (but not limited to):
- Active Release Technique (Upper and Lower Extremity)
- Full Body Certified provider of Functional Range Release
- The Anatomy Trains - Myofascial Release
- Functional and Kinetic Treatment with Rehab (FAKTR)
- The Shoulder Made Simple: Examination and Management of the Shoulder in Clinical Practice (Assistant Instructor)
- Building the Ultimate Back: from Rehab and Prevention to Performance with Dr. Stuart McGill (Assistant Instructor, 2014)
- Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) - Level 1 Certified
- Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization to Level C and Advanced
- Manual Therapy and Rehabilitation of the Temporomandibular Joint and Cervical Spine (Assistant Instructor)
Dr. Michael Maxwell holds an Honours Bachelor of Human Kinetics - Exercise Science degree from the University of British Columbia and graduated Suma Cum Laude from Western States Chiropractic College. Dr. Maxwell is a member of the British Columbia Chiropractic Association and the BC College of Chiropractors. He has been a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist since 2002-2012 and has been a rehabilitation and performance consultant since 1997. He holds a level 1 NCCP certification in weightlifting and is certified in FMS Level 2 and SFMA. Dr. Maxwell was Chiropractic Consultant for Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton from 2007-2009, World Champion Ironman (age 30-34) Tommy Nielson and Ironman Champion Heather Wurtele, and Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Camosun Men's Volleyball team in 2003-2004. Dr. Maxwell currently works with a variety of patients including recreational and elite athletes and the non-athlete looking for short and long term strategies to pain resolution and improved function.
Dr. Maxwell's treatment approach includes a variety of treatment "tools" including: